Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Good-Bye e-mail

When you do leave your job it’s customary to send out a good-bye e-mail. I’d recommend that you trim the distribution list to just the people you know personally. And be sure to BCC: everyone instead of listing out their names so as to avoid any whiff of politics or favoritism. Keep the letter professional, thank everyone for all their help, and provide a permanent e-mail address where people can contact you.

Keep in mind that just because you’re providing your contact information it doesn’t mean you’re offering to answer people’s incessant questions or provide free consulting. It may be courteous of you to answer some basic queries, but don’t feel bad about turning down any requests for extended help.

One thing the good-bye e-mail should not contain is a list of grievances. If you have to things to get off your chest, leave that for an exit interview.

I once had a colleague who wrote us a classic goodbye e-mail, although it’s not one you should necessarily emulate. It went something like this:

“When I left my last job, my teammates gave me as a parting gift a bowling pin with the label ‘AMF’ on it. They told me the letter ‘A’ stood for ‘Adios’, but wouldn’t tell me what the ‘MF’ stood for.”

“I wish I had a bowling pin for each of you.”

No comments: