Thursday, May 8, 2008

Recruiter Spamming

(Some) recruiters can be just as guilty as (some) candidates of spamming. And as I often have my resume on the job boards, I get my share of spam and scam e-mails. Here are some that I receive regularly, paraphrased and disguised to protect the guilty.
  • Hot! 3-month contract in Podunk, Mississippi, $18/hour

  • Become an Insurance representative today!

  • Reminder - Update your resume on SomethingOrOtherJob.com (to which I‘ve never actually submitted a resume)

  • Hi there – I’m hoping you (and the 3,000 other people I’m e-mailing this to) can help me fill this position.

  • Join us working as a funds transfer agent processing payments (apparently this scam has ‘graduated’ from eBay and PayPal)

I’m not even including the various ads for V1agra, Canadian Pharmacies, and solicitations from officials in Nigeria, as I can’t definitely tie them to my job board postings.

So what can you do to cut down on the spam? Not much, really. You could try taking down your resume from all the job boards; still, with the Internets being what they are, once you post your resume somewhere it’s going to float around pretty much indefinitely. And that means some lazy recruiters and bottom feeding scammers will continue to pollute your inbox with these e-mails. Probably the best you can do is tweak your spam filters to weed out the clutter.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Random,

> And as I often have my resume on the job boards

What does this mean? Have you already often changed jobs? Do you always leave your resume on job boards, even if you are happy in your current position? Just wondering

RandomManager said...

Yes to both questions. I have indeed changed jobs every few years, and I do keep my resume up on the boards. After all, I'm a candidate myself as well as a hiring manager, and you never know when an attractive opportunity might come up.